How to Build a Custom Home
Wondering how to build a custom home? Check out this guide from the experts at Summit Design Build.
How to Build a Custom Home
If you’ve always dreamed of building a custom home, the ideas can come easy, but knowing how to turn your dreams into reality can be trickier. We are here to help! This guide from the custom home experts at Summit Design & Build is focused on getting you on the best track and introducing the custom home building process.
According to the National Association of Home Builders, the custom home market has continued to grow throughout the U.S., and for good reason. Quite literally, constructing a custom home is making a dream come to life. When designing a custom home, you have complete control over your living space and have the unique ability to select almost every component that comprises your house. Whether your dream home is for raising a family or retirement, understanding how to build a custom home makes all the difference when bringing your custom home to life.
The process for building a custom home includes numerous steps and procedures, each of which occurs in a well-planned series. Although everybody’s experience differs and some steps will take longer than others, the fundamental roadmap is the same. Let’s discuss what that looks like.
How to Begin the Custom Home Building Process
The custom home building process can seem daunting at first, but at Summit Design & Build, we make it simple. Before you bring your custom home ideas to your builder, there are a few things you should do to make sure that your project is successful. Here, we outline the process of getting started on your custom home project.
First, you will want to consider the design and lifestyle elements of your custom home’s layout. Instead of adjusting to the design of an existing house, this is your chance to create a home to match your lifestyle needs and design preferences. All of your home’s features, from the doorknobs and countertops to the arrangement of rooms, are in your hands.
To establish a creative starting point, you should think about how you want to utilize the area and gather any relevant style examples to show to your designers. These elements may also influence the lot you choose to build on.
Next, you will want to select and acquire your home site. Choosing the ideal lot to accommodate your requirements is vital. You can always change up a house by remodeling, but the real estate you choose to build on is far less changeable.
Things to think about include:
- Quantity of acreage
- Place in the neighborhood
- The orientation of the property
- The views from the home
- Gated or non-gated
- Quantity of frontage
As soon as you have locked down your homesite, it’s time to choose a professional building company specializing in custom homes to begin work on your new home. When choosing a home builder, consider the cost, style, and reliability by viewing their customer reviews and previous projects.
Choosing Custom Home Building Plans
Now, it’s time for the fun part: designing or choosing your home’s floor plan. After you have chosen your custom home builder, you will meet with their team of designers to begin bringing your ideas to life.
Custom Built Home Plans
When designing your home’s floor plan, your design team will work with you to consider the following elements:
- The size of the house
- The type and number of rooms
- Number of stories
- Design of the architecture
- How the house will be situated on the land
- The elements of your lifestyle that you wish to be built into your house
- The desired structural features in each room
- Any unique features you wish to implement (fireplaces, heated floorings, and so on)
- Desired sustainability features
- Your budget
If you don’t want to design your dream home from scratch, your general contractor may have existing floor plans for you to select from. We offer a vast array of home plans with custom-designed areas for everybody. Each of our floor plans can be completely personalized; from moving walls to adding windows, our goal is to create a home that fully fits your way of life.
Building a Custom Home Checklist
Once the style choices are made, your home builder will be ready to price the house. When you are satisfied with it, you’ll sign your purchase agreement to make it all official. It’s all smooth sailing from here as your home builders get to work on your new home, but your input will continue to be appreciated throughout the process. Using the information below, it may be useful to build a custom home checklist to make sure that your custom home project stays on track.
Steps to Building a Custom Home
Before construction begins, it’s time to obtain funding. Your builder will refer you to a loan provider if you do not have one. You will also need to get building permits to begin construction on your custom home project, but we will file all necessary paperwork for this process so you can sit back, relax, and watch your new home come to life.
Before you know it, your new home will be ready for construction. From the time the very first scoop of dirt is dug out of the ground, the site of your future home will be buzzing with activity. From here, you can anticipate a number of milestones:
- Site preparation: The land is excavated and staked to mark where your house will sit.
- Structure and framing: This is when the house begins to take shape.
- The “meat” of your home: Setup of the mechanicals (your heating & cooling, pipes, and electrical), insulation and drywall.
- Flooring and paint: Also added are finishing touches like cabinets and trim.
- Fixtures and appliances: Lighting, restroom and kitchen area components, and appliances. Landscaping may also begin.
When your home is finished, you’ll do a walkthrough. This is the time to examine every inch of your home and bring up any concerns. As soon as all of your thoughts are addressed, it’s time to close. After that, we will hand you your keys and your beautiful new home will be ready to be enjoyed for years to come.
How Long Does It Take to Build a Custom Home?
At Summit Design & Build, we understand how important the length of your custom home project is to you. Building time for your brand-new house can vary due to a variety of factors:
- The size and intricacy of your home, in addition to the proficiency and performance of your home builder, is one of the largest factors that can affect construction time. As one of the top builders of custom homes in Atlanta, we pride ourselves on our speed and efficiency no matter how big the job is.
- Permits. The length of time it takes to get building approvals and permits differs considerably depending upon the local city or county building department.
- Site conditions. Building on a sloping lot or in an earthquake, mudslide, or fire hazard zone, will likewise contribute to the construction time. Additionally, building typically takes longer in backwoods areas than in city locations with easy access to materials and labor.
- Bad weather conditions with heavy rain, snow, or freezing temperature levels can trigger significant hold-ups.
Simply put, in addition to a lifetime invested in imagining and envisioning your perfect house, the custom home building process can take up to two years from start to finish, but we estimate that our projects take a year on average.
The number one factor in how long your project will take is how soon you get started on it. The custom home of your dreams is just a phone call away, so don’t hesitate to contact the trusted Atlanta custom home builders at Summit Design & Build today. We’re looking forward to speaking with you!
BUILD YOUR DREAM HOME TODAY
Whether you’re building your first home for your growing family, looking for the home you want to retire in, or want to update your current home with current amenities and designs, Summit Design Build is here to help you every step of the way!
For over 15 years, Summit Design Build’s reputation has been built on superior construction, attention to detail, responsiveness to our customers, and a willingness to go the extra mile.